After craving tacos for several weeks, I made this vegan chickpea taco recipe. And let me tell you, it was delicious. As you may or may not know, I eat vegan most days. However, recently, I was in the mood for some good ole meaty tacos. I didn’t want to give in to my meat cravings by indulging in Taco Bell, so I decided to prepare a homemade vegan version by substituting meat with chickpeas. I also wanted a meal that would take only a little while to prepare, hence why this recipe.
If you are vegan or transitioning but are in the mood for meaty tacos, try this vegan chickpea taco recipe. It is the perfect savory recipe to satisfy your meaty cravings.
One thing I love about this recipe is the roasted chickpeas. For the longest time, I cooked chickpeas in a skillet. It wasn’t until recently that I started roasting my chickpeas in the oven. This method is the best way to cook chickpeas. However, you can use a skillet if that’s what you’d like.
HOW TO MAKE THIS VEGAN CHICKPEA TACO
- The roasted Chickpeas: I lightly roasted one 16oz can of chickpeas with some salt, smoked paprika, and black pepper. This quantity of chickpeas alone made about five tacos. However, add more chickpeas if you’d like more servings.
- The creamy cashew dressing: I used my homemade creamy cashew dressing to add a delicious flavor to this taco. This dressing is super easy to make and can be used in various dishes.
- The tangy salsa: To make this salsa, you will need some diced onions, tomatoes, and cilantro, as well as some salt, cumin, and lemon juice. Put all the ingredients in a small bowl and combine them.
- The perfect tortilla: I like to lightly pan-fry the tortillas for added deliciousness and a slightly crunchy taco. However, this is entirely optional.
And that’s it! Your chickpea taco is now ready to be munched on.
WHY CHICKPEAS ARE A GREAT MEAT SUBSTITUTE
Chickpeas are one of the best meat substitutes you could ever eat.
They’re packed with protein and fiber, so they’ll keep you full for hours. Plus, they’re low in calories and fat—and they’re naturally gluten-free! Chickpeas are also a great source of iron and calcium, which is rare for many legumes. If that weren’t enough, chickpeas are also rich in antioxidants and phytonutrients.
You can add chickpeas to salads and soups or just snack on them straight out of the can (those little guys are delicious). They’re a great way to get more protein into your diet without sitting down to a steak or chicken breast. And if you’ve wanted to try vegan tacos but need help figuring out where to start? This vegan chickpea taco recipe makes for a delicious addition!
Vegan Chickpea Taco Recipe
- 16 oz Chickpeas
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tomato - diced
- 1 onion - diced
- 1 bunch cilantro - chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 lime - freshly squeezed
- tortilla - I like to lightly pan-fry mine in a shallow skillet of hot oil.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain chickpeas and pat dry with a towel.
- Place chickpea in a bowl and coat it with oil, salt, black pepper, and smoked paprika.
- Spread chickpeas on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 15 mins. Do not over-roast the chickpeas to prevent them from being too crunchy.
- Combine tomatoes, onions, lemon juice, cilantro, salt, and cumin in a small bowl.
- Set aside.
Making the taco
- Lay the warm tortilla out flat and top it with roasted chickpeas, salsa, and vegan dressing. Add more toppings like corn, vegan sour cream or avocado if you prefer.
- Serve and Enjoy!